Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney







Jerry Pinkney's The Lion and the Mouse is a retelling of the Aesop Fable without words. A 2010 Caldecott award-winner, I gave it to my 5 year old to "read" on the way home from school one day.  He told me the story himself very successfully while I was driving.  Unfortunately I couldn't get him to replicate his performance when we got home because I was going to film it.  :D  My son appreciated the story and I was able to incorporate the Golden Rule into the lesson. 

The beginning of the book shows the natural predators that the lowly mouse encounters in the serengeti and my son at first thought this book was about the Gruffalo--a book I'll cover later. 

Jerry Pinkney's book is very well-illustrated and it shows the story without words excellently--probably the first picture book I've "read" since the Snake Eyes silent issue of the GI Joe comic book in the early 80's. This was my introduction to Pinkney's work, now I plan on finding some more, the artwork is incredible. 



Here's a video of Jerry Pinkney himself illustrating this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment